Sunday, February 04, 2007

Lurking Pumpkins?

This Wyatt's Wonder pumpkin has been lurking in our garage. Now he is in the oven! A little vitamin A and iron should be just the boost needed for the ongoing winter predicted by the groundhog. See pumpkins growing, and harvest day Oct 14.
The other Wyatt's became Halloween decorations, so this is the first one I've cut. Seems to be a lot of pumpkin meat in there.
I have been cooking the smaller Snackjack pumpkins conveniently cut in half with shell side up. Since this larger one is more cut up, I added coverings just after I took the photo. This is just half of the pumpkin. I'll bake the rest tomorrow.

I'll mash up the cooked pumpkin tonight and make a pie or something tomorrow. Just saw a recipe for honey-pumpkin butter (like apple butter) I'd like to try also (From Asparagus to Zucchini-a Guide to Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce, from a community supported agriculture organization). There are still few other little pumpkins in the garage, but no more Wyatt's Wonder.

Stay tuned....

7 comments:

RUTH said...

One pumpkin can certainly go a long way.

Anonymous said...

Excellent I look forward to your pumkin recipies! I always wonder what to do with them!!

Libby

Helpmate said...

Oooh, honey-pumkin butter? That sounds too good to be true! Let me know how the recipe turns out. I may have to borrow it. :o)

Sheila said...

I love pumpkin, in about anything you can make from it.
They are such fun to grow tpp..!

Anita said...

That's funny Paula, me too, I recently cut one of my last year's pumpkins ... for a delicious soup made of pumpkins, potatoes and onions....

Allotment Lady said...

Your posts are brilliant as always and I loved the bird photos especially.

I had pumpkin yesterday (roasted with Sunday lunch) and today in a soup.

I have so many still to use up - but there are so many uses and they do taste great don't they.

Petunia's Gardener said...

The little snackjack pumpkins made a pie and a little baked dish on the side for the cook to eat. Just the right size. I think the Wyatt's are quite sweet. I wonder if they get sweeter in storage.

I will also freeze some cooked pumpkin to use later. Sure hope the bread is good.