Sunday, October 01, 2006

O is for Orange

I bid September farewell with visits from both the hummingbird and Petunia! Petunia's younger cousin, Daisy, was also touring with Petunia so maybe next year both will be in residence in the garden. No sign of Herbert since we disturbed him sleeping under the coldframe.

The orange and white striped pumkinettes had already been harvested and most have found homes with friends. These are the volunteers I posted about here and here. I don't know what variety they are. I do see them for sale in the grocery stores now as decorations.

Mildew had overtaken most leaves on the small orange Snackjacks so I harvested the remaining ones yesterday, washed them and put them on this table to dry. (Baking soda & water slowed the mildew on the leaves for a while, but I stopped working at it as it was about time to harvest anyway.) Snackjacks are supposed to be good for cooking, carving and have naked seeds for snacking. We will see. The smallest is under a pound and the largest is 2-3 pounds. Some have already found new homes but above is what I have left. This July post and this August post shows their earlier progress (along with the first striped harvest).

The larger pumpkins are growing in the satellite garden below: Dill's Atlantic-grown from seeds from last year's largest pumpkin, and Wyatt's Wonder - a larger pumpkin that is supposed to keep a nice roundish shape and color. They got a late start this year as we had to get the new area ready, but I'm happy to have any size. (On the left in the picture below, you can see the bean structure in the main garden next door.)Below is the pumpkin and sunflower patch yesterday. There are some sunflower blooms you cannot see in the picture, but many are now in the maturing seed stage. On the left, below, is a Wyatt's and on the right is a Dill's. These don't look much different, but most of the Wyatt's do have a better bottom for sitting, not that I mind the shapes the Dill's take on as they make for unique pumpkin characters (see the link to last year's pumpkin above)!

5 comments:

lottie the allotment lady said...

What a good year it has been for pumpkins this year hasn't it.

Everywhere I visit in blogland there are acres of wonderful squash and all sorts of varieties - and yours look stunning.

Such a wonderful site - I never tire of visiting it.

john curtin said...

Now I've got a question for pumpkin/squash growers - how much space do I need to give to butternut squash - I'm trying it next year, its great in curry and the soup is delicious. Also how many can I expect to get from each plant?

Kati said...

I had fun reading about your Dill pumpkins. I met Mr. Dill himself when he visited my area of Ontario a few years ago and he was absolutely charming!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Hmmm. John, I've not tried growing butternut so I'm not much help. I'll watch for a blogger that does, though.
Kati, thanks for sharing about Mr. Dill. This year, mine where from the seeds saved from one last year. The saved seeds were the size of almonds (but not the original seeds). I didn't know what would come up this year, if any. I'm sure he had some stories about his quest for the great pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

This picture of the pumpkins is just
b e a u t i f u l.