Thursday, July 06, 2006

Here's Herbert!

I think Garter Snakes are camera shy because they know their colors just don't capture well. Herbert has distinctive red stripe where as Petunia is more yellow/orange. We moved the COLD FRAME for the summer and found Herbert sleeping beneath it. It took him (?) a few minutes to wake up and decide which way to go, so I had time to grab the camera (after a little scream of course). We see others around the yard, but these two stay around the garden.

Here is the link to a picture similar to PETUNIA.
Here is the link to the first year notes about PETUNIA and HERBERT.

2 comments:

JLB said...

It's always a pleasure to visit your blog. I should introduce you to my friend Sol (short for Solstice). S/he is camera shy as well, but just as lovely.

So, do you know how to tell the sex on garter snakes, or do you just assign a gender based on your inclination? I'd love to know (unless it involves picking them up and turning them over... I love to pick up snakes, but I don't think that the feeling is mutual).

Have a great weekend!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Didn't s/he tell you when s/he introducted him/herself?

In otherwords, I have no idea!