Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Wow! But what is it?

The zucchini harvest started Sunday night. I thought I gave the 4 plants plenty of room but now the cosmos and another sunflower are competing. We don't really need 4 productive plants anyway.

What is this happy grower neighboring the zucchini?

It must have sprouted from aged fall gourds/squash or pumpkins that I used for decoration until past their prime, and then tossed them into the future bed area to compost in place. It is bushing, not vining, but the cosmos and sunflowers near it don't have a chance! Lots of blossoms, but nothing seems to be muturing enough to tell what it will become. I don't want it to cause problems crossing with the pumpkins.

Should it stay or should it go? If there are lots of blooms & lots of bees but no maturing produce - is it likely never to produce (i.e. it should go)?

4 comments:

California Gardener in Zone 23 said...

Looks like pumpkin to me!

Rurality said...

Our triamble squash/pumpkin did that too... that is, produced a lot of blooms before ever making anything that looked like a fruit.

vintagechica said...

I vote stay...otherwise you wont know if it was a squash or a pumpkin?!?! Our squash took quite a while to fruit too.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the input. Some of the fruit seems to be "sticking" now. Could be a pumpkin. I'm hoping it's those little mini pumpkins. I'll post an update soon.