Thursday, February 08, 2007

Baker's Friends & Family


Every baking experience needs a special potholder, well, one for each hand. After taking the last of the pumpkin out of the oven last night using the darker blue potholder above, I decided to share it tonight. This collection has been given to us over the years by my sister-in-law. Yes, this is DH's sister who made the angel and the moose.

The top right one is a pieced Christmas work that provides year-round calm in the kitchen. I love the fabrics she uses. The green one is a wonderful garden of its own and should have its own picture so you can see all of it. The purple one is another year-round Christmas favorite.

Can you tell what the two round ones are from? Blue jeans! You can see where a pocket had been on the light blue one. I think these round ones were made for a fundraiser by a community group she's in. I must say every time I use them, I remark how wonderful they are. Just the right size for my hand and no corners to end up stuck in the food. The old denim has such a nice feel and they wash up very nicely. How lucky we are to have such creative and generous family!

6 comments:

Allotment Lady said...

You know, this is the first time I have seen any of these - and I really should make some. I guess you must put something thick in the middle? As a beginner at sewing it will be a fun smallish task for me to try.

I have over 30 pumpkins still - in my studio. I had run out of pumpkin rescipes until I saw you pumpkin butter - yet another one to try. You can't get too much of a good thing can you - well maybe this year when I harvestd dozens and dozens and dozens.

Libbys Blog said...

I agree with Lottie, they are a great handy size. Something to have a go at!!!

Petunia's Gardener said...

AL & Libby, I was thinking they would be fun to make too. Yes, a thin quilt batting or something goes in the middle. I was wondering what she used in the jeans potholder. It feels like cotton batting, not just another layer of denim. I'll ask her.

AL, Wow-30 pumpkins left, you're in great shape.

mrsnesbitt said...

Talking of making things..Anybody who visits my blog today and leaves a comment will have their name entered into a draw, then true to style three names will be picked out of a hat......not sure how,but it will be an interesting process.......

winners will receive a selection of my new ATC's.......my first attempts, made because of the enthusiasm and passion people showed here,

Thanks all!
I also am approaching my 13,000th visitor.........I always give one of my bespoke cards to the visitor nearest the 13,000 mark....so more pressies up for grabs!

Helpmate said...

Round potholders? Genius! I'm always getting the corners stuck in the food.

Sheila said...

Great way to recycle. Each one comes with a memory.