Monday, May 28, 2007

Digging Doubles

On Saturday, I started preparing the two new beds for planting pole beans soon. They are on the north end of the garden area. The land slopes down a little and a few test holes in this area last year indicated less top soil and more rocks. I've been putting off the digging but it couldn't wait any more. Sure enough, two loads of rocks came out of the two 4 feet x 6 feet areas I dug.
...Including this nice specimen, above. It will get a bath and be incorporated in the garden somewhere.
Next, two loads of the last of the sheep straw compost went in (had to replace all of those rocks with something).
Above, is the start of the digging with a trench down the middle of one of the 6ft section where the bean structure will go. Then, I also dug along each side of the shown trench. I don't do double digging in the most orderly manner, but similar idea. I remove about a shovel's depth of soil (here, thrown along the rest of the bed) , then loosen (& remove rocks) from another shovel's depth. Next, mix in compost and toss in soil from the next section being dug. It all gets stirred around a bit in the process. New beds get this treatment, but repeat beds don't seem to need it.
Now to let it settle. I started with the middle 6 feet (each bed is 22-23 feet long and 4 feet wide) so I can get the bean structure (laying next to the bed) in place before planting seeds. If you haven't seen the bean structure in action, check out this posting from last August. If you cannot tell, the structure spans the two beds and the path goes underneath it.

I'll work on the other areas in each bed over this next week (part of one done tonight). After I finish throwing around dirt, I'll tidy up the pathways too.

5 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet said...

That's a very impressive harvest of rocks you got there. You've done a lot of hard work and the beds are looking good!

ErnieSue said...

I can't wait to see the bean pole structure. I enjoy your wonderful garden. It is very inspiring. I'm getting lots of good ideas from your pictures. Thanks for sharing your photography, gardening and writing talents with us. This is a very fun blog to visit.

Frankie @ Veg Plot said...

My goodness that was a big rock!

Bob said...

It's amazing how many rocks we washington gardeners have in our yards. Oh the blessings of glacial till soil. I look forward to seeing everything growing.
all the best,
Bob

LostRoses said...

Yikes, double digging! You certainly aren't a lazy gardener! I'm amazed at the number of rocks, something we rarely find in gardens here (except for concrete rubble left behind by the builders).