Friday, April 13, 2007

Expansion!

Finally, I'm back online! Here's Dear Husband (in MY boots, Yolanda & Libby) tilling up the 2 and a halfish new beds in the garden. Our nice neighbors let us borrow their tiller if we promise to go easy on the number of zucchini left on their doorstep. If it stops raining, maybe by Sunday I can lay out the beds and paths and add some compost.
This is adds to the other 4 beds + herb bed in the main garden. Last fall, I spread grass cuttings in this area and then put down burlap green coffee bags (see above). I thought I would go back later and also put sheets of newspapers under the bags to kill out the grass, but I never did. The dirt pile above is where I did a little digging to see if the soil was dry enough to till.
Above, as I removed the bags for tilling, I pulled back this bag on a pathway. I had put newspaper down first in the paths. It is now deteriorating and the worms seem to like this environment. It really did help discourage growth in the paths.
In the photo above, I've removed the bags before tilling. They did discourage grass, but not dandelions! That's ok, I'll take whatever help I can get. After I form the new beds, I'll put the coffee bags down again to prevent weeds before I'm ready to plant beans and other warmer weather vegetables. As I dig in the compost, I'll remove some of those dandelion roots.

10 comments:

Libbys Blog said...

I have you linked to my photo a day blog but me thinks I should link you to my other blog instead? I'm not saying you don't photo blog you do more gardening like me!Do you mind?
Your burlap green coffee bags are brilliant. Wish we could get some!!

dot said...

LOoks like a nice garden space. Hope you grow lots of good things!

Anonymous said...

You've named your boots???

DH

Petunia's Gardener said...

No, silly, Yolanda and Libby blogged about gardenwear. Since you were modeling mine, I thought I'd share. Remember, it you that names things like the vacuum cleaner!

Betty said...

Petunia,

Am enjoying reading your blog. Regarding the neighbors and squash, in south Georgia, there's an admonishment in the summer not to leave your car windows down because somebody will leave you a some squash.....

Sheila said...

Great idea, and makes digging in the Spring so much easier.

BTW..what's the vacuum cleaner's name...LOL

RUTH said...

You've been really busy. It will be worth it though.

Carol said...

Nothing stops dandelions from growing! I'm envious of your new beds. Our soil is still too wet to do anything.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Yes, just a picture of dirt, but I'm glad you all see the opportunities there too! Libby, feel free to link me where you like! The PAD has encouraged me to post something most days, even if it is just a photo. I decided earlier on, though, just to keep it all in one blog so most photos are garden related.

And, Sheila, the vacuum is named Bug! DH got it for the cats for Christmas. It's one of those little round Roomba automatic cleaners. Prowls around on its own once a day and picks up lots of cat hair and other bits!

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Petunia, you and your husband crack me up. :-D And yes, I would like to see your hubby wear some wellies with roses on them. It's good for a man to get in touch with his feminine side. ;-)

Good thinking on the coffee bags, that worked very well. 2 and 1/2 new beds, what are you going to grow in them apart from squash to annoy and terrorize your neighbours? :-D