Finally, I'm back online! Here's Dear Husband (in MY boots, Yolanda & Libby) tilling up the 2 and a halfish new beds in the garden. Our nice neighbors let us borrow their tiller if we promise to go easy on the number of zucchini left on their doorstep. If it stops raining, maybe by Sunday I can lay out the beds and paths and add some compost.
Last fall, I spread grass cuttings in this area and then put down burlap green coffee bags (see above). I thought I would go back later and also put sheets of newspapers under the bags to kill out the grass, but I never did. The dirt pile above is where I did a little digging to see if the soil was dry enough to till.
Above, as I removed the bags for tilling, I pulled back this bag on a pathway. I had put newspaper down first in the paths. It is now deteriorating and the worms seem to like this environment. It really did help discourage growth in the paths.
In the photo above, I've removed the bags before tilling. They did discourage grass, but not dandelions! That's ok, I'll take whatever help I can get. After I form the new beds, I'll put the coffee bags down again to prevent weeds before I'm ready to plant beans and other warmer weather vegetables. As I dig in the compost, I'll remove some of those dandelion roots.
8 hours ago