Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Beware of Baby Tomato Tricks

Sweet little (tricky) tomato seedlings...

~March 3 - sown and soon sprouted.
~March 17 - inspired me to add a fluorescent light in the garage and they moved out with the other seedlings.
~March 22 - shivering, purple tomato seedlings come back inside (I think they held their breath to turn purple and get their way...)~March 24 - potted up in good potting soil, and a little kelp meal to see if that will help their phosphorus deficiency...

~March 25 - two came inside, one stayed out in the garage to see if it was just the lack of food or the low temperatures that was causing the purple.
~March 27 - the one lone baby in the garage is more purple this morning:
So now all three are snuggly tucked inside the house! We'll try again when it warms up more. At least the peas, broccoli and lettuce aren't complaining about life in the garage.


Reminds me of Emily, the stray cat that moved to our deck, then the patio, then the garage, now the house (but she still likes having her own room in the garage). Apparently, we're softies.

7 comments:

RUTH said...

I must admit we cosset our plants too.

Libbys Blog said...

Needs a scarf!!!

Colleen said...

Tomato babies are tricky, picky little things, aren't they? Last year, I started some on my kitchen windowsill because it got good light, and they started turning purple just like yours---apparently, it was just too drafty and cool for them. This year, I gave in and started them under lights in the basement.

Sandy said...

My tomato seedlings frequently go back and forth. I have never had them turn purple, but I have gotten out of bed to go out and fetch them indoors when I was worried it was too cold!

talj said...

Oooh I can't wait to see some sprouting from my seeds...but I have a LONG way to go! Thanks for popping by to cheer me and my new found hobby along! I am looking forward to the days and weeks ahead!

Sheila said...

Amazing to think how many tomatoes will result from planting that tiny seed...!

Hanna said...

My tomato seedlings are doing the same darm thing and I added a bit of bone meal to the soil to start out with to avoid this in the first place. I moved them onto a heating pad and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Good luck with yours!