Sunday, January 21, 2007

Importance of Garden Variety

The DP's stories are in the works, as planned for January. Just haven't had as much time to spend as hoped. I do try to make some progress even if I only have an hour.

Dad's taped stories are typed, but I'm making the edits he gave me the last time he was here, as well as looking for the missed "s" or "ed" or "is" where it should be "it" that spell catcher just doesn't notice.

This is my not always so helpful assistant.


I hope he won't mind me sharing this story from the 1920s-1930s: "We always had a garden out in the backyard. The only thing that would grow in in that dumb garden was GREEN BEANS. We had to spade it, plant them, weed them, water them, pick them and snap them. Mother was never happy until she had 200 quarts of them canned and down in the fruit cellar. Then we would eat green beans all winter long. I have violently disliked green beans ever since!" Although, later we learn he continued to eat them until the last child (my husband) moved out.

So, helping the garden grow a variety of vegetables is a good idea.

10 comments:

Carol said...

I love when I find out something about how my grandparents gardened. I wonder why they could only grow green beans?

Petunia's Gardener said...

Carol, so I told my husband that we needed to ask Dad why they only could grow green beans. DH said, well, it's probably the only thing Grandma planted! Of course! Other things COULDN'T grow, if they weren't planted in the first place.

We'll ask Dad, though, and see what he says.

Scarecrow said...

That's another very fluffy cat!!
Hmmm! I don't think I'd like green beans only all winter either!!!!!

millionbells said...

The first and last time my brother planted vegetables for my mom, she made him eat the radishes and carrots he grew. Last time he did that! What started out as a sweet gesture ended badly :(

Sheila said...

That's too bad, I could eat green beans everyday..but then I've never had to..?
That is one lovely cat...lovely colour and coat..what do you call her/him/it ?

RUTH said...

Love your assistant. We started growing runner beans about 10 years ago...each year we do less and less canes because I keep running out of freezer space!

Allotment Lady said...

Brilliant memoirs - and fantstatic photos - I know what he means about the green beens - I think I froze too many for the winter lol

Rurality said...

I grew up on a steady (forced) diet of home-canned green beans! But I later learned to like them.

Helpmate said...

Loved the story! Aren't you glad you don't have so much trouble in your garden?

Blue the Spa Girl said...

I wish I could grow vegetables. I can't wait to learn how!!!
I struggle with gardening!
xo
I envy anyone who can grow a good crop!