On Thursday, I measured out two new beds. I'm also widening the two beds from last year. On Friday evening, my DH rototilled the new beds. Today, I finished digging & widening the two existing beds before it started raining. (Here is a link to the garden in spring 2005.)Above, you can see the coffee bag pathways (taken on Thursday). (Link to more about coffee bags.) Each of the 4 beds are 4 feet wide with 2 feet pathways. They are about 22 feet long. The herb bed is also in this area, but not shown in the picture. The silver metal poles just happen to be 4 feet long so I was just using them for spacing.
Existing bed (above left picture, taken today)-with mystery flowers and irises on the end, in the middle are some rudbeckia and gaillardia I worked around. I covered part of the row after digging until I have a chance to mulch it. New beds are left of this bed.
The other existing bed (above, right) after widening and digging. I worked round the peas, broccoli, spinach, lettuce and parsley in this row. Thyme (golden, maybe) at the bottom of the picture.
Above, left picture is the herb row. At the bottom of the picture is the metal catnip guard/protector created by running over a tomato cage with the riding lawn mower. The above, right picture is another shot of the existing bed with peas, etc. Between these two beds is about 6 feet of grass. This summer I plan to remove the grass and extend the herb/perennial bed. Another fine crop of rocks!
33 minutes ago