Sunday, August 02, 2009

Bee Careful!

The bees were in a frenzy yesterday, especially around the echinacea. There were often 2, 3 or even 4 bees on a flower at a time.

You might not be able to tell, but there are two bumble bees and a honeybee (I think) in that squash blossom.

Later in the evening, I noticed many bees crashing out for the night on the flowers. Maybe the hot weather has made the echinacea especially intoxicating to them.

Notice the poor little guy with his feet up in the air! He was still moving an antenna, so I turned him over. Still, it may have been his last night. He looked like he'd had many a trip through the garden, so maybe this going out in high bee style.

I did look to see if the spider in this link might have been the cause. Unless the spider was off stalking others while this guy faded, I didn't find evidence of the spider at work.

8 comments:

Bonnie Story said...

Wow, it's a whole 'nuther world you have captured there! The brilliant violet color of your ech flowers is intoxicating to me, even without nectar... always kinda sad to see the hardworking bees pooped out in the midst of their work, unable to continue... I admire their work ethic so much. I have found a few bumbles "frozen" on the raspberry bushes in the wee morning hours (trying to beat the heat) and it's always so nice to see them revive on the spot in the sunlight and get right back to work! Amazing creatures.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Hi Bonnie - The bee was still out there this morning. I just check now that the sun is on the flowers. I'm happy to say I think he made it to fly around for another day!

The colors of this plant are much brighter than the neighboring plant for some reason. I didn't know if they'd really show up in the photo that way. They are all from the same plant I started with 4 years ago.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

The bees are out in full force now! It is funny seeing them resting on the flowers. I can't believe how many on on the salvia, it's just buzzing!

Becky said...

Oh golly, everyone seems to be posting pix of bees. GREAT!
I must get out and find a bee myself. Your garden looks fab.
~Becky

Matron said...

This year particularly, I have been appreciating bees of all sorts on my patch. There are so many scare stories of them disappearing. As for your broad beans, for eating I pop open the pods as soon as you can see them inside. If left too long they get tough. If for saving seed, just leave them as long as you can and dry the pods out.

Jean Bradbury said...

I have seen sooo many bees too. I hope it is a good sign of healthy bee populations. I love the napping bee piture.

Karen said...

Hilarious, I guess your photo captured the bee version of heels up in a ditch! Never seen that before. Whew, they must have been hot too, or I wonder if they don't feel it so much? Would be interesting to know more, I think I'm going to have to do some bee-life reading this winter.

Manuka Honey said...

American honeybees pollinate some 90 different crops that bring in more than $15 billion annually. We need to find out what is making the hives collapse and do something about it now.