Monday, March 26, 2007

Welcome, Little Barn Guest

Always room in this barn. Heck, we might even turn the lights and music on for you. This female Rufous Hummingbird (I think) showed up in the barn last night. It was going to be a chilly night so Dear Husband wanted to be sure she had something to eat too. She didn't wait long to take him up on it. (this is the best hummingbird feeder - it's cleanable & doesn't leak!)
She kept flying around the ceiling, even though the doors were open. She'd land in one of the vent cut-outs and hang out there for a while, then fly around some more. We finally decided to leave the doors open a little and let her stay. Maybe she was our garden bird from last year (see photo here). I saw the first hummingbird of 2006 while the cherry trees were blooming so I've been on the watch for them.

Tonight, she seems to have moved on. Maybe she was just passing through and needed a spot to keep warm. After seeing the frost this morning, I didn't blame her.

9 comments:

Moggy said...

How sweet, Last year was my first try at a garden and the only thing I had luck with was okra. I want to do better this year.

RUTH said...

How incredible! No chaance of that happening here; though with global warming who knows.

Lucky-1 said...

Hello Petunia I have been reading your blog for a while now, I'm in Australia.

I visit a site that has a web cam for feeding humming birds.

How lucky are you to see these beautiful birds at your place.

Such a lovely little bird.:)

Ki said...

Wow, that's great! We typically see only one hummer each year and you have one in your barn.

KC MO Garden Guy said...

That is wonder to have a hummingbird in your barn. We have some really good pictures of our hummingbirds from last year I will have to post them on my blog. What kind of hummingbird feeder is that? I have no luck finding a good one. Probable tried a dozen or more.

meresy_g said...

I can't wait til my hummingbirds come back. Great photos of a bird very hard to capture.

Yolanda Elizabet said...

How wonderful to have hummingbirds come and visit you. Lucky you!

Allotment Lady said...

You are lucky - how wonderful.

btw I use milk containers as cloches and to stop the rabbits nibbling - have done for years - but outside up the allotment and I cut them differently.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for admiring this little gal. She's probably in Canada by now. We don't have as many here as we had visiting us in Alabama, but there is something blooming most of the time, so I do hear them throughout the summer.

I'll post the link later, but this is a Aspects mini feeder (8 oz). www.aspectsinc.com