Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Garden Stars

First bloom of the Star Magnolia (hope that's right).

On Sunday afternoon, I did a little trimming & weeding around the pond, the patio and the shade bed under the cherry trees. Due to certain plants that came with the house, I'm always trying to figure out what should just be removed rather than maintained (i.e. somewhat invasive ground covers...). Sure, it looks better than nothing, but do nothing to control and it, and it will take over. I'd rather weed the garden than edit landscaping. But, that's enough of that for now.

Other garden stars kept me company on my trimming job. Frog was hiding in some of the pond overgrowth and gave me threatening looks before finally jumping into the little pond. Follow this link to see frog last year (& what he also looked like on Sunday). I did leave some overgrowth for him and I'm happy to say he (and another) are out there singing tonight. Last year (see that link above again), it was in late May when frog and a friend had a singing competition.
Of course, Emily kept me company too. This picture is late in the afternoon when she was hoping to convince me that we were done.

8 comments:

Anita said...

Oh, how pretty, I'd LOVE to have a magnolia tree, too. But DH is absolutely against it... ;-(((

Happy first day of spring and happy gardening!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Hi Anita, Thanks for the spring visit. THe nice thing is that this is a small shrub, not like the huge magnolia trees. Don't know how large mine will get, but it isn't getting there very fast at least!

RUTH said...

The magnolia is lovely. Stellata is so much more practical for the smaller garden. Emily lo0ks very huggable

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Love your star magnolia, very pretty. And Emily, isn't she just adorable? How nice of her to stay with you in the garden.

A wildlife gardener said...

Wow! What a beauty of a cat! Liked the magnolia stellata too.

Libbys Blog said...

Beautiful magnolia. Cats do like to come and help don't they!!

Ki said...

Beautiful flower. We have stellatas but I don't remember the flowers being so full. I'll have to look closer when ours blooms, though it looks like it will be a long time before that happens.

Allotment Lady said...

I so love your pussy cat!

What a posh light over your plants - you should have lettuce to eat in no time at all.

Very impressive