Wednesday, January 24, 2007

January Surprise

Every day you walk by something and then, finally, one day you actually see it! Tonight, I noticed that this schizanthus pinnatus, poor man's orchid or butterfly flower was rather pleased with its current location.

In Dec., this pot and its dead(?) plant were quickly shuffled from the front porch to the garage. One day, I noticed a few new leaf stalks so I sat it on this bench by a window in the garage. Tonight, I happened to see it was really growing. I'm not even sure we've watered it since moving it inside.
And there might even be some flower buds developing! This was a sweet May Day gift last year. It bloomed and bloomed last summer, even on the shaded front porch. I'd love to have it around another year! Guess I should trim up the dead stuff and let it do its thing.

5 comments:

RUTH said...

Aren't these the most beautiful plants when they are in flower.

Sheila said...

What a gift from nature. These little plants are so hardy sometimes they amaze us. I'm not familiar with this name, it looks like a Bleeding Heart leaf to me?

meresy_g said...

DOn't you just love how resilient some things are? They are beautiful plants and you'll get to enjoy it again this year!

Blue the Spa Girl said...

Looks like it survived alright.
I love it when plants do that!

Libbys Blog said...

Sorry just got the dreaded red cross!!!