Monday, August 24, 2009

Bean Adventures

I couldn't put it off any longer. The beans further up the bean structure had to be picked. Can't say I put as much thought into it as I should have. Do you think the benefits of growing vegetables might decrease with each extra foot you have to climb to pick them?

It was a good idea to use a S-hook to hang the basket on the trellis and to free up both hands. Not such a good idea was deciding to take photos while I was up there. (But the camera was just there in the basket, as it usually is when I go to the garden.)

How about standing on the top of the wobbly, old 2-foot stepladder? It was easier to carry than the larger one! Oh, yes, in garden flipflops! This time with socks (sorry) since the feet were still complaining about picking blackberries in flipflops on Saturday.

And stretching for that last bean, several times? Maybe not a good idea. It's still there, below...



Fortunately, there are no injuries to report. And the dinner in process that includes the purple pepper, a pattypan squash, garlic, tomatoes & the beans might bump that quality decision making ability back up there!

5 comments:

Connie said...

Hey, you made me dizzy just reading about your bean picking method. Cute shot of your feet. :-)

sweet bay said...

Those beans look worth the climb. :)

Becca's Dirt said...

Good shot of the flip-flops and socks. Love it - cause I do the same. Great method for growing beans if you have a ladder or are very tall. Love your blog. I am now following you.

lottie said...

Those fabulous veggies are worth it though aren't they!

Matron said...

I've always wondered just how high a climbing bean will grow. I might try a washing line up to the roof of the house next year!