Saturday, February 09, 2008

Let the sowing begin

I managed to source some milk jugs this week so I'm off to do a little "winter sowing" today. Last year, I learned about it and tried it in March. See this link. (and see the links in that post for Angie's instructions on this.) It worked well for lettuce, chard, broccoli and nasturtiums. See this link for results. For those that might not like the cooler outside temps, I'll be getting the garage window ready for them later.


Later.....


Here are some planted and out on the old deck. They'll be protected by the house a little, but also have sun / light as much as possible. The lids have a small hole in them. I'll leave them on until it warms up a little. There are drainage holes in the bottom.

Since the milk jugs had the indention in two sides, I cut up over the indention on those sides and sloped back down toward the bottom of the handle (also the 'hinge'). This also let me slip the top part over the bottom part a little before placing a piece of tape to keep it in place. This seems a little more stable than my try at making a lower cut through the indention.

So far it is just lettuce, chard, broccoli and nasturtiums. I'll be making the rounds to other sowers to see what they have planted.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, go you!
Be sure and take those caps off so snow, rain and moisture can get in.
Good luck - though with WSing, you don't need any.
:)

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks, Tina! We're having some excessive wet this winter, so I'm only leaving the lids on through the worst of it. We all manage to soak up lots of water in the winter no matter the rain guards! I'll be monitoring, though, and toss the lids when needed.
Isn't it fun to get started!
thanks - paula

Curtis said...

Too late for me to do find jugs but will be collecting starting now.

Tina said...

Paula,
I'm so sorry I assumed you didn't know to remove them. It didn't hit me that you guys get slammed with wet instead of 20 foot of snow. I really should have known you'd know! lol.

PondPlant Girl said...

I like your milk jug idea. I'd like to know more about how things worked out. I've used warming mats, florescent lights, and aquariums indoors during the wintertime.

GAiL

www.pondplantgirl.com