Saturday, July 07, 2007

Welcome: Kansas Guest Garden 1

While on our trip to Kansas in early June, we had the opportunity to visit a garden (& the gardeners) in a town south of Wichita. Now remember, this was early June and Petunia's Garden was no where near this far along. PG: My, you're a very happy garden, what's your secret?
KGG1: SUNSHINE, a little horse manure in my early days, a miracle-grow cocktail with the gardener now and then helps. And when the sunshine really makes me thirsty, nothing beats a good, long drink of water.

PG: This is such a nice spot. Are there any garden challenges here?
KGG1: Kansas weather! Always too much/too little of something - too much wind, too little rain, too much heat, too much rain, too little warmth. And rabbits ... too many rabbits!
PG: Do you have any favorite crops?
KGG1: I enjoy sharing a good crop of corn with the gardeners and it feels so good when the little gardeners run over to play hide & seek with me after a hot summer day. Cucumbers are also a favorite. So cool and juicy. A variety is always nice: Tomatoes, broccoli, cantaloupe and other melons. A pepper plant here and there.

PG: What have you grown in the past that you just won't bother with again?
KGG1: Those carrots have to stick around so long, they all start bickering before they're out of here. Almost drives me crazy. And pumpkins! They're fun I know, but for some reason, they make me itch. I think it's much better for all around if the gardeners just get their pumpkins from somewhere else.
PG: You have a nice round of tomatoes growing. I see some huge green fruit in there compared to what I have back in Washington state.
KGG1: Thank you! They're just getting started. The tall, strong wire cages should give you some idea of how much more growing they have to do! The family does like their fresh tomatoes so I try to please them.

PG: I see you do have a nice start on cucumber and melon vines, above. What advice do you have for other gardens just getting started?
KGG1: You cannot beat having a good gardener that will keep the weeds away. It helps if his/her favorite tool is a rototiller, especially in the early days! Nothing like it to stir things up and work in a good batch of leaves and other soil snacks.

PG: Thanks for the tip! Any future plans you want to share with us, before we wrap up today? KGG1: I'm thinking I'm ready to really put down some roots and commit to an asparagus bed. Annual crops offer a lot of flexibility, but I think I'm up to the commitment. Even so, I've been dreaming about some okra. And then maybe I'll need to relocate the corn, and move over the cucumbers.... No, wait! I can do it. I can commit to that asparagus bed (and fit the okra somewhere). Happy Garden Dreaming everyone!

3 comments:

Sylvana said...

Those cages are enormous!

I just put a fancy little fence around the whole group of my tomatoes this year to keep them contained. It looks really nice, but these cages look extremely practical.

RUTH said...

It's good to have garden daydreams...it's surprising how often they turn into fact! Happy Gardening.

Paula said...

In a town south of Wichita? Hmmmm. Would I know this town south of Wichita? Didn't see any identifying landmarks. Great garden, though!