Sunday, July 15, 2007

Bloom Day July

I had limited time to come up with a bloom day post, so I took a vote. By overwhelming majority, this is the most popular bloom in the garden! I voted for lavender and sunflowers (and I even voted several times) but those votes washed out with all the bees voting for the broccoli! I think there are some honey bees visiting the garden too. Wonder what broccoli honey tastes like?
The bees are in such a frenzy, most photos where just a blur. I don't think they even get this excited about borage. Check out their "pollen baskets," the yellow pockets of pollen on their legs. I've watched lots of bees in the garden before and have seen SOME with such full baskets. The bees in the broccoli ALL had full baskets!
These are my oldest 4 broccoli plants and they had been slowly overcoming all my tactics to keep them from blooming (at least there are still some younger plants producing). Finally, I let them go to see what the blooms would attract. Eventually, these plants, the bolting lettuce, the garlic and onions will come out and this may be where the Brussels spouts will go.

Go check out Carol's May Dreams Garden Bloom Day post here. In the comments to her post, you can find the 50+ others who have a Bloom Day post or who have listed what's blooming in their part of the world too.

11 comments:

RUTH said...

The bees really are enjoying those flowers. Great photos. Do you collect your own seed when your veg goes to seed?

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Broccoli in flower looks really great, must try that too next year. It looks like your bees where having one great big pollen party in your garden. ;-)

Paula said...

Glad to know the broccoli won out! Those bees have found the promised land!!
Paula

healingmagichands said...

What a great idea! Let the bees vote. I guess that means that in August we'd be seeing asters on my blog.

meresy_g said...

Those bee photos are great. Bet you had to sit for awhile to get those. YOur garden is beautiful!

Becky~ said...

Cute bees! I love them in my garden . . .the broccoli looks wonderful.

Carol said...

Broccoli flowers, how pretty they are. Thanks for participating in bloom day!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Sylvana said...

I love that picture. That is one happy bee!

My broccoli hasn't even started producing yet.

Anita said...

That was very interesting, Paula! I've never seen any broccoli flowers! My neighbour offered me five of her broccoli seedlings in Mai and they are now growing in my boxwood garden. I am so excited and wonder if I will be able to harvest my own broccoli this summer, too! But for the time beeing, the plants are still quite little. Maybe I need to water them more?

Best wishes, Anita

A wildlife gardener said...

A bee-hive of activity buzzing around the broccoli...gorgeous:)

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the visits! The bees have had the garden to themselves this week. Now they have rain too. I'll be out there too tomorrow, finally!