Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bloomin' Lichen

Or Gardening in Small Spaces III. Came across this on an old fence post while we were planting the trees this weekend. I thought they were young pyxie cups in bloom, but they might actually be "British Soldiers" (Cladonia cristatella).
With maybe some Cracked Shield Lichen and who knows what else mixed in. Click on the photos to get a larger view, but neither are especially sharp.

I've really used the lichen pages of my North American Wildlife book. May have to move up to a whole book on lichen! Check these out too: Small Spaces I and Small Spaces II.

8 comments:

RUTH said...

How wonderful. Not many (including) myself would think to look this closely.

A wildlife gardener said...

I love lichen too. Our stane-dyke wall is covered in them.

Sheila said...

Wonderful plant and pictures..!
It looks alien, or as if it should be under the sea, like a sea anemone ! (?) spelling?

Melanie Rimmer said...

They're beautiful. I agree with Sheila, they look like fantasy life-forms when you see them up close.

Frankie @ Veg Plot said...

They look like they should be on Star Trek!

Ki said...

Wow, great photo. I've never seen lichens blooming.

meresy_g said...

how lovely. I have never seen a lichen bloom before. who knew?

lisa said...

Love the lichens! When I was a kid, there was a TV show called "Indiana Outdoors", and they had a weekly segment titled "I like lichens"...awesome! There aren't enough good color guides about these, either.