Thursday, June 11, 2009

Garden Aliens


The peas have reached the top of their gate and the blossoms are just starting. I think a gate extension will be in order.


On other critter fronts, Petunia helped me with a little garden weeding tonight! DH has had lots of help from Petunias, but not me (& he doesn't want this help). After a quick appearance, she headed into a patch of lamb's ear at the end of a row. I hope she makes herself comfortable & has many a nice snack of slug.

This is a photo from a few years ago. Today, she was wearing a particularly dark & sleek outfit with yellow stripes.

7 comments:

Darla said...

Good Gravy!

Matron said...

Ahh yes! petunia the garter snake! Where does she live in your garden? I have found that the older or more traditional varieties of peas are much taller than the new dwarf ones. Mine are now 8ft and still growing!

Aerie-el said...

What a pretty pea bloom, and a good helper you have in the garden! Hope she snacks the slugs away!

Karen said...

Hey there! I was so happy to see the pea blossoms this week, finally. I was starting to wonder if I'd missed the boat. We planted ours around the same time, I think. Cute snake!

Curmudgeon said...

Petunia is beautiful! I can say that because it's a picture and I'm miles away! LOL! As for peas, the 2 seeds of purple podded that Matron shared from Celia's garden have caught up with the others which were planted almost a month earlier. All our peas have reached the top of their trellis. I've been picking peas twice daily for about a week now. We are the official neighborhood pea distribution center!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Ohhh... we'll really need a pea trellis expansion if they still have growing to do. Thanks for the warning. Last year, they shared the A-frame trellis with beans and had plent climbing room. I underestimated this year.

Matron - Petunia has been living in one of the garden rows. I find her under a small board in the evenings. Her yellow & white stripes are so elegant. I'll have an update post later.

Wing Nut said...

While I know that Petunia and her kind eats lots of slugs, I'm quite grateful that she lives at your house and not ours! Snakes really give me the total heebie-geebies. I can handle most critters, but I run screaming from snakes. Maybe I watched "Rikki Tikki Tavi" too many times as a kid...