Sunday, September 09, 2007

Saucy Blackberries

The blackberries don't seem to have benefited from our cool summer and regular rain. They just don't seem as sweet and rewarding (for putting up with their bad habits) as in some past years. But, one doesn't have fresh blackberries just any time so we made our first batch of blackberry sauce last night and had it still slightly warm over ice cream. It also gave me a chance to try out my new to me, old Vita Craft ricer/vegetable/fruit press, bowl and bowl cover. My mother and grandmother had bought several Vita Craft items in the late 1940's or early 1950's. I brought several items back with me from my trip to Kansas in June. The stovetop & oven pans held up great over the years but their bakelite and thermoplax handles didn't age so well. This press, however, looked just like what I needed to deal with blackberry seeds.

Also above, and part of the preparation, is the blender DH's parents passed on to him when he moved out in 1986. We don't know the year, but it is an Osterizer Galaxie model. With a new gasket for the bottom of the glass part, it has served us well since. After a quick blend, I poured the blackberries into the press and lightly rolled around the wooden roller. It quickly drained and the seeds actually stuck to the roller, photo below, which made them very easy to wipe off. Much better than the sieve I've used in the past.
To finish up the sauce, I heated the blackberries, sugar and a little cornstarch in a saucepan. It was good enough that I didn't complain too much about picking a few remaining thorns out of my hands this morning.

I've heard this press is great for apple sauce too. We should have some apples ready about the time we tired of blackberries.

6 comments:

Frankie @ Veg Plot said...

What a fantastic gadget - bet I can't get one in the UK - will get on ebay!

Paula said...

Hmmm...never did make it over to pick berries, did I? So glad you posted a picture of your contraption. I have the coned sieve and the wooden pestle, but not the bowl underneath. Thanks for listing the brand name because I'm going to check out eBay, too! Bet your sauce was delicious!!
Paula

RUTH said...

That looks a handy gadget...it takes me ages to sieve blackberries. Think I may have another spate of blackberry picking myself today.

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Handy gadget for making blackberry or apple sauce. I have a nifty gadget for making jam. See my post Jam Today, Gone Tomorrow!

~Becky said...

Blackberries = Yummy !

Ali said...

I have one of those handy gadgets, too, and it is indeed great for applesauce, pearsauce, etc.

Ali