Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bloom Day May

Where have the days gone since April 15th? Here are some of my currently blooming favorites, but not a complete list. Be sure to check out the most popular flower in the garden and the last photo in this collection. For other Bloom Day posters, see the comments to Carol's Bloom Day post on her May Dreams Gardens blog.
These chives are offspring from my first herb & vegetable garden in Alabama. They've moved along with me several times. We've been picking the most open flowers to include in our salads, but I think I should let some fully bloom now. This Aquilegia / Columbine is the most prolific self-seeder and bloomer in the garden so far. I hope the hummingbirds have found it.
This Aquilegia (right?), above, has been the most surprising. I don't remember if it bloomed last year after it was given to me, but if it did, I don't remember that it looked like this.
This sedum flower is the most unreal! It's like a little outer space / alien flower.
Scratch and sniff this Dame's Rocket (thanks to a reader, now I know it's not phlox) above! It blooms every year beneath the window by the computer. I love being outside at dusk when it is especially fragrant. The lilacs are also in competition, but I walk by this flower bed so much that it is imprinted in my spring memories.
So here it is! This little wonder is the number one stop on all of the bee tours right now. You can hear the tree buzzing from across the garden. That's what brought me over there close enough to see these flowers, each only about 1/8 of an inch across. Rhamnus purshiana - the native Cascara in the NW. Before long, the beautiful Waxwing birds will be socializing in the trees while munching on the Cascara berries. I wonder if I can sprout more of these small trees from the berries or a cutting. Now watch out for the bees. They're flying distracted and likely to run into you.

12 comments:

RUTH said...

Fabulous plants. I don't think I'll get any humming birds in my Aquilegias...plenety of bees though. I took a look at your link to the Cascara berries...aren't they magnificent. Happy Gardening.

Carol said...

I tried the scratch and sniff on the phlox, but it just left smears on my computer screen. Your flowers look great, and after all the talk of bees disppearing, it must be nice to be surrounded by them in that tree.

Thanks for participating in bloom day and sharing your garden with everyone.

Crafty Gardener said...

What a lot of beautiful blooms you have. Your garden is slightly ahead of mine. Stop by and see my slideshow of spring blooms.

A wildlife gardener said...

Wonderful rich colours, esp the cobalt blue of the aquilegia.

Robin said...

Love your blooms, they are so pretty. I didn't know that phlox had a strong scent.

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Scratching and sniffing the phlox: mmmmmm delicious. :-)

I see that you also enjoy eating the flowers of the chives.

Susan said...

That blue columbine is splendid.

— Susan at South of the River

Sanni said...

Your columbines are so nice. I need to have more of them. ihave only few species and most of my columbines are that very common dark blue ones... I love that pink of yours...
Your flower photos are very beautiful and enjoyable to see...

shirl said...

Hi Paula,

Lovely photos for Bloom Day – I can see I will be back to visit your garden again! I loved the deep rich red of your Aquilegia and the bell shape of its flower.

I believe your alien flower could be Saxifraga 'Variegata' (× urbium) if it has yellow markings on green rosettes. It is a lovely plant that I really grow for its tidy ground cover and foliage - the flowers are a bonus. It is wonderful to see we can grow, and have in flower, the same plants in gardens so far apart!

meresy_g said...

That electric blue columbine is stunning. Do you know the name? I must have one.

Mark said...

That blue Aquilega is fantastic, can you sen me some hummingbirds as we dont have any....

Cheers Mark

Christa said...

That sedum flower is really cool. I've never seen one like it. I like your columbine, too.