Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ode to Rain

it.
it. all.
it. all. begins.
it all begins with a drop of rain
and soon all the drops are pitty pattering down on the rooftops and leaves and soon the drops soak into the earth it all begins with a drop of rain and soon the drops reach the roots and travel to the stems to reach the fruit of the sungold tomato it all begins with a drop. of. rain.
it. all. begins.
it. all.
it. all. begins. once. more
and the tomato hopes the drops will keep pattering down all night and soon the rainbarrels will be full and the drooping cosmos will droop no more it all begins and the pumpkin vines send every drop to the offspring and the air will be northwest fresh for every living creature rejoicing that the drops of rain. have. returned. once. more.

7 comments:

Allotment No 21 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thank you! When do we start with the undo-birthdays and subtract a year of aging?

Harvest said...

Very lovely piece of prose, or maybe it is poetry . . . I like the structure - it seems unique. Thanks for stopping by my blog - it gave me the opportunity to follow you back here!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Havest, probably is a bit unique. It was the first time in quite a while that it had rained enough to actually hear it inside. As I listened to it start & stop and start again, and we so needed a good soaking rain, this what I was hearing in the rain drops. Did I say how glad I was it was finally raining? And now it is raining again. Soon, I be doing an ode to blue sky.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a few days behind, but I just had to say - what a lovely poem! I am a huge rain lover, and this one just sings to me!

Enjoy your winter gardening adventures. Hope Petunia finds a nice snuggly spot to hibernate. :)

Leslie said...

Love this poem. It FEELS like rain. It reminds me of that old Rosalie Sorrels song, "If I Could be the Rain"

Patsy said...

HI OLD FRIEND,
I LOVED THE POEM ABOUT THE RAIN. STEVE AND I LOVE THE RAIN. WE SET UNDER THE TIN ROOF OUT BACK AND TAPE THE RAIN TO LISTEN TO LATER.
I DID NOT SEE WHAT YOU WROTE ABOUT MY GARDEN IN HARVEST. I AM NOT GOOD ON THE COMPUTER.