Friday, July 28, 2006

The Incredible (Dwarf) Sunflower

I've thought about a separate blog to post a sunflower picture daily. I love these strong silent giants from sprout to empty seed head, and the bees and birds that they bring around too. This one isn't so giant and it has an unusual green & yellow face (compare to #1 Sunflower). It is in the volunteer sunflower area so I wondered how I could get one like this as a volunteer when I didn't have one like this last year. And what a shorty. Here, I'm standing over it. You can also see some of the other flower buds coming along.

Then I remembered I had mixed all of the old seeds I had collected over the years and stuck them throughout the garden, not knowing if any would grow. I hunted down the empty packets and this one is probably the incredible Dwarf Sunflower.Here it is after it opened up further. Someone told me giant sunflowers were scary to them as a child. The incredible Sunflower might be a more child friendly version of this fun plant.

7 comments:

Sylvana said...

I LOVE SUNFLOWERS! I Really like this one two. It has an especially sunny quality to it. And what a great picture!
I have not planted sunflowers in my garden for 6 years. I just collect the volunteers each spring and move them where I want them. I am always surprised by how few people grow them.
Are they all harboring childhood fears of sunflowers?

Myrtle Luma said...

I am envious of your sunflowers - the slugs and snails here love to eat them and I won't use slug pellots - bad for birds, hedgehogs and frogs. I have discovered that coffee keeps them away, so have recently tried again with some dwarf varieties.

Your photos are lovely - also loved the ones from your trip to the lavender farm.

Petunia's Gardener said...

The slugs were after mine also. I'm amazed that some recovered. I also started poring coffee & coffee grounds around the plants most hit by the slugs. I wasn't sure if it really helped, but to me it seemed to discourage the slugs. Some had the tops eaten off when they were tiny, but I'm happy to see they are sprouting new leaves.

vintagechica said...

Stunning! One of ours has bloomed and already hanging out to dry, but we're patiently awaiting our giants to bloom any day now!

California Gardener in Zone 23 said...

This is an amazing sunflower. The colors are so rich and vibrant!

Sue said...

Am envious of your sunflower. Mine got attacked by a fungus and died. Will try again next year ...
Just found your site and love it. Will be coming regularly.
I've recently started a gardening blog - you can find me at http://balcony-garden.blogspot.com/
Let me know if you'd like to swap links.
Have a good gardening weekend!

Imperfectpeople.net said...

I just planted some of these. Looking forward to those blooms!