Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Watch out weeds...

This is my favorite weeding companion lately. Dear Husband says it's a rat's tail file, but I thought it looked like it would have some use around the garden. For a $1.50 at a second hand shop, it was worth a try (even just to look good laying around the barn) .

The file part is about 12 inches long and can reach to the end of many roots as well as the spot in the middle of the almost-too-wide beds. Slip the file down next to the main root and give the weed a little tug. Oh, joy and satisfaction! It also can pry up grass roots, especially with a rock used to get a little leverage. If it makes me do some weeding, it was a $1.50 well spent. (It's been used to poke through the mole tunnels too.)

4 comments:

clodhopper said...

Ouch! My last wish will be not to be re-incarnated as any sort of weed anywhere near West WA.

Hanna in Cleveland said...

That looks like a useful tool. I have something similar (it's not a file though) and I love it too.

I had not thought to go after mole tunnles with it though. Might have to try that.

Petunia's Gardener said...

There is something satisfying about weeding all the way to the roots and deadheading flowers. What's this say about my life?? Oh well, gardening isn't about that type of analysis.

Allotment No 21 said...

It looks like a good leek planting tool as well!