Saturday, May 20, 2006

Any advice?

Do you think this structure will work for pole beans & runner beans? The former owners left these movable fence sections with wire fencing attached. They are 4 feet wide, one is 7 feet long and one is about 10 feet. In this picture, they are just propped up (fell on me once already) and I'd secure them for use. That would be a path under them. Each side is in a new bed so I may be dreaming that the beans will get this tall.

These volunteers are either zucchini or pumpkins. Can anyone confirm which?

5 comments:

Hanna in Cleveland said...

Thanks for stopping by my gardening blog!

I would tie string from the top to the bottom so they looked like giant harps. This will give the beans more verticals to cling to. Great way to reuse though. I am a big fan of reusing. :)

Allotment No 21 said...

I think they look great, what a good idea!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Hanna, even with the metal fencing, you'd suggest the strings? The fencing has wires up & down and side to side. Without enlarging it's not easy to see in the small picture. I haven't grown runner beans or pole beans before so I just didn't know how finicky they get about climbing. It will be easy enough to add the strings too. Many thanks & happy guerrilla gardening!

Hanna in Cleveland said...

*doh* I'm sorry, I did not see the wire fencing. If that is there, you are set.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks to you both for the input. I knew it might be hard to see the fencing. It won't open larger like the other photos will. So beans will probably find a way to go up with any support! The rain finally chased me in from digging the bed where the beans will go. I got 3/4 of it done, though.