Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Starting seeds

I haven't started seeds like this for years, but I went through my seed collection and picked out some to try. (You can see Emily here ready to come inside.) I had the long tray already, but this is the first time to try the jiffy pellets. I'll be trying the newspaper pots soon too.
These were planted Mar 25. Today, both trays have a few seedlings up (you have to look closely). These in the little tray are Mr. Majestic marigolds. A few cosmos are up in the other tray. Some I planted were collected from things I grew years ago, some are just old. I also have 3 rows of mystery seeds in the long tray! I like to garden by chance and see what happens...

4 comments:

she who digs said...

Hi,
Thanks for your good wishes! I can't wait to get started on my plot on Saturday. Have had a brouse at your blog- love the sheep poo picture and the row of water butts. (Don't know why we call them butts though- must be an English thing!) Over here you can buy taps/faucets to fit into your 'dipping' barrels but just drilling a whole (when empty!) and screwing it in. You must be able to get them un the US too and it would save you leaning in. I found this on Google if it's any help: http://www.worldwide-dispensers.com/prod08.htm
They're only about £3.00 or more expensive if you get one with a hosepipe connector! Happy Gardening, Sarah

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the tip, Sarah. Now to get it moved up on the to do list!

Allotment Lady said...

The peat planters are too expensive over here for me to use for my veggies and flowers but such a wonderful idea.

You look very organised. I am a bit slow sowing seeds. The weather has been too bad to start them off with the view of potting them on - I do not have a green house.

Lovely photos

Petunia's Gardener said...

Organized! I didn't label anything,just thought I had a way to track which row in the long box was what. When something sprouted, you should have seen me trying to remember my "system" as I had shuffled around some of the packets! It could truly be a mystery garden. Thanks for the nice note!