Sunday, January 03, 2010

January Garden

Here is the garden, yesterday, after the shadows had set in. A lot of the flower seed heads are still in place and we've seen birds regularly passing through and picking seeds. Here is the bit tidier January 2009 photo. Click on the label, below, to see other monthly photos.

I did find a few green spots as I toured around...

Above, feverfew is sprouting. It moved into my garden as small plant last April.

Money Plant, Lunaria Annua - aka Honesty, Moon Wart, Satin Flower. These sprouted last year from seeds I'd collected from the plants growing in our fence row.

7 comments:

Darla said...

Nice to see some green popping up!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Your garden really looks so pretty in the winter! I can't wait to get back out and see if there are any new sprouts in my garden. Your feverfew looks like it's going to be really big.

Karen said...

Eh, tidy is overrated! Then what would the birds eat? Where would the beetles shelter? And the dead foliage might be protecting the plant or providing some other benefit, which is what I try to remind myself when it's looking messy out there and I don't have the time or energy or good-weather window to do anything about it! Love lunaria and keep wishing it would seed itself here!

YD, sometimes with Samantha and June said...

Hi there, I thought I would stop and say hi. I googled Rouge Vif D'Etampes Pumpkin and your photo came up, that's how I got here.
I am planning to plant pumpkin this year, just trying to decide which variety.

YD

Libby said...

Belated New Year Greetings

Matron said...

Where's your covered wagon cloche?

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the visits!
Matron, I haven't put it back up after it was squished in the snow last year. I thought I'd use the greenhouse to grow the stuff I had in the winter/early spring cloche. Never got anything started yet, though.