Sunday, January 10, 2010

Blackberry January

For trimming blackberry thickets, rather than picking them, a nice day in January is just the thing. The green canes are quite noticeable and there isn't so much growth to fight through. I leave some growing, but try to keep them from taking over everything in sight.

In the photo, above, you can see a long green cane going up through the tree, well over my head. These canes can over take tree limbs or shrubs, at what seems like, overnight!

I was happy to find this shrub, above, in an area where we're trying to reduce the blackberry overgrowth. Also encountered a sweet little bird with yellow patches near the eyes.

Unfortunately, there are also some ivy patches. Tackling the ivy will have to move up my priority list!

Blackberries get their revenge, too. I'm stick picking out thorns...

7 comments:

Karen said...

Good for you for getting out there now to hack back the canes! I always seem to notice them when I don't have gloves or tools handy. Is it ever possible to truly rid yourself of blackberries? Your attitude of judicious thinning seems like a good one! Ugh, ivy. I just noticed it creeping over the fence again yesterday.

123 123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tina said...

Just wanted to let you know that your blog content is being scraped. Your readers with blogs might want to check and see if theirs is being stolen also:

http://gardening.hikool.com/january-garden/

http://gardening.hikool.com/

Matron said...

Blackberry stems are lethal! I bet you didn't escape unscathed? Just trying to tame those stalks is really worthwhile when you get those lovely berries in the Summer!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the warning, Tina. I'm taking action! Stupid use of internet air, these post stealers!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Karen & Matron - thanks for the support! Some years I just turn and look away! Recovering from the thorns. Once had to have a bit of one removed by a dr!
Tina - I left a few comments over at the scrapers and my posts have been removed. aghhh...
Thanks!

atapley26 said...

i enjoyed your pictures!