Sunday, August 09, 2009

Warning! Petunia at Work

Really... you've been warned! These photos are really bad quality and they might even be a little scary. But if you make it through the first two, the third will leave you with a more pleasant sight.

DH called me out to the garden (I was in the barn hanging a curtain, but more about that later). We saw a sight we've never seen before. Petunia (the snake) at work! She had captured a large slug and was pulling it through the herb bed. Well, I did always assume they were eating slugs.

I didn't want to scare her from her task, so I tried to zoom in without getting too close or taking time to see if it was focused.

In the middle of the photo you will see the spotted slug and the striped Petunia. The slug is bigger around than Petunia. She has it in her mouth about in the middle of the slug.


Below, even a worse photo, but looks for the spotted slug and the striped Petunia.

Later, I checked this bed again and heard dry leaves rustling. Two smaller Petunias where scouting around. I take it that the big slug hunter wouldn't share and sent them off to find their own slugs. Who am I to complain.

Ahhh.... I just cannot get enough of the echinacea color this year (& the drunk bees).

7 comments:

Matron said...

You must know that 'Matron doesn't do flowers' but that doesn't stop me admiring other peoples'. Those ecinacea are stunning!

Mark said...

Hi Petunia,
Thanks for your comments about my log piles, I dont think you can have too many.With regards to the green roof I tend to add a moisture mat or a few layers of cardboard depending what I have. Once planted up I do not water them as we seem to get plenty of rain.
Love the picture of the group of echinaceas, I have planted some this year and I hope they look as good as these in a few years.

Cheers Mark

Bonnie Story said...

Wow, way to go, Petunia!! Thanks for letting us observe your particular safari! Hope that was a good meal, sticking to your ribs, hee hee... you might have liked a nice iced tea to wash it all down. Thanks for helping keep the garden clear of leaf-snacking pests!

sweet bay said...

Bonnie Story beat me to it. I was going to say way to go too. lol

Beautiful coneflowers!

Anonymous said...

good lord! i had no idea snakes liked slugs. thanks for the awesome pictures (if a little blurry).

ah, sweet sweet rain here in portland.

i love your blog, btw, and check in everyday.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Lovely coneflowers! And the bees love them more than us!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for sticking it out through the snacks for snakes photos, everyone!