Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bloom Day June

Here are some of the bloomers in progress today in my garden. Find out what's blooming around the world by visiting the Gardeners' Bloom Day post at Carol's May Dreams Gardens.

(Please stop by here on Tuesday, though, for some special roses I found blooming this evening and still need to photograph. They are self-caring roses beautifully growing in a fence line!)

Where is the scratch & sniff button when you need it? This is an amazing year for the honeysuckle growing along our driveway fence. The fragrance really takes off in the evenings.

It was just a few thin plants when we moved in 5 years ago. The bees and hummingbirds seem happy with the progress.

Self-planted foxgloves. That might be some white splashes of dogwood in the background.


Above, the catmint attracts so many bees, the plant is just a buzz. Funny, today I noticed how yellow these bees are now (vs weeks ago). Perhaps in honor of Carol's Yellow Dedication!



The first of the lavender. These came inside to dry, hung high to keep Maria (aka indoor garden pest) from eating them. It looks to be quite the lavender year, although I lost my Spanish lavender to the winter.


Mountain laurel. It is a wonder, small shrub (at least where it sits on the north side of my house). I love the blossoms before and after opening.

The peas, tomatoes, one cucumber, thyme, sage and the borage, of course, are also blooming.

Thanks for visiting us at Petunia's Garden. And, thanks for hosting, Carol!

~ Paula

8 comments:

queerbychoice said...

That second picture is truly gorgeous! What are the alternating grey/green plants on the ground below the honeysuckle?

Matron said...

I just LOVE the scent of honeysuckle. You can also pull off one of the petal tubes and suck the sweet sugar nectar from the end. Try it!

Debbie said...

Like you I enjoy watching the progress of Mt. Laurel flowers opening up. They really area a sight to behold.

Happy Bloom Day!

Curmudgeon said...

We discovered that our neighbor down the street has honeysuckle. The smell is so sweet. The roses around the neighborhood also seem to be putting on a spectacular show this year. That mountain laurel is just amazing!

Dreamybee said...

I love the mountain laurel-such decorative little blooms at all stages. It looks like someone took a cake decorating tip and some pink icing and went to work on that plant!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for stopping by for a little taste of what's blooming! Queerbychoice - I think the gray are a type of low growing juniper. The green are large heather plants (that are a nice bloomer in early, early spring).

Matron - I did the honeysuckle snack as a child thanks to a neighbor's fenceline. THey smell so sweet this year, so I'll give it a shot.

Debbie has it - the laurel blossom is like cake decorations. Grow it if you aren't already. They seem to be very easy going!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!
Paula

Sylvana said...

Everyone seems to be growing foxglove but me. Guess I didn't get the memo. Darn! And they are so lovely! As is the mountain laurel. Looks good enough to eat! (if they weren't both poisonous;).

Petunia's Gardener said...

Sylvana - If there is a memo, it is readable only by the foxgloves! I think they have a plan of their own. When I think they have taken up home in an area, they are never to be seen there again, but maybe in the middle of some other place. I just let them do their thing. Thanks for visiting! Paula