Thursday, February 05, 2009

First Dig

One down, five...six more to go. I can see the salad bed here this year. Ok, we did leave Emily's catnip down at the far end. Maybe one tomato, only a few steps from DH's bench.

This bed hosted flowers, herbs and a spare vegetable or two these past years. The herbs were getting too comfortable and some grass & weeds were moving in with the flowers.

So, a good clean out was in order. It had rained the night before, but it wasn't too muddy. Brought over some decomposing leaves from another bed and turned them over into the soil. Then added another sprinkling of leaves. Now the worms can do the work for a few months.

This time of year, it is difficult to remember the garden beds looking like this post (photos taken from the bench).

6 comments:

gardenerprogress/Catherine said...

Isn't it rewarding to get some work done this time of year? It's going to be great. It was beautiful in bloom.

Gardeness said...

Wasn't the sun run great. I'm a bit sad to see rain again today, but we'll start seeds indoors to keep us busy. Those beds were gorgeous in bloom.

Petunia's Gardener said...

It felt sooo good to do some digging and to get that bed ready. I hated the weed invasion going on there. The fog this morning is quiet & relaxing, but I better get a move on it if I'm going to see you all in Seattle shortly!

Cameron said...

That's genius!

I took one of the big water bottles with spring water I think it is and I smashed a screwdriver into the cap and it made a small hole.

Basically the same idea but it's much better droplets of water.
:)

I would like to do tomatoes next but I hate tomatoes so I wouldn't eat them =/

I want to do something like strawberries but they take so long to germinate :(

Karen said...

Hey, I recognize those coffee sacks! Love the Brazilian ones in the picture, I think I ended up with one today. Hooray for summer, your garden looks AMAZING!

tHe UrbaN GarDener said...

Looks nice and oh yes it's good to get out there and finally turn that soil over. I took advantage of the sunny weather and did the same to the traffic circle I tend to on the corner of my street.