Saturday, November 29, 2008

...Pumpkin Jelly?

It is that time of year when we move from blossoms, although some are still going, to fungi and lichen. Found this beauty during our Geocaching outing, yesterday. Its color (a little more orange than the camera captured) really stood out amongst the greens and grays.

I believe it's a form of jelly fungi, perhaps dacrymyces palmatus. Might be aka Fairy Butter, but I'm having trouble finding a consistent common name.

My reference book says it is actually more firm than it looks. I'm sorry I didn't touch it, now! Or at least a little poke with my handy geocaching poking stick I was using to search among the leaves for the cache.

Would you have touched it?

4 comments:

Connie said...

Wow, that is some weird looking stuff...I have never seen anything like it. I probably would have been tempted to poke it with something, just to see if it was hard or soft.

Matron said...

Wow! incredible! that looks just like a saffron risotto!

Molly said...

tremella mesenterica. I've not only touched it, I've tasted it. (not bad, just. . .meh). I think the popular name for it is "Witch's butter"

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the confirmation, Molly! I don't think I would taste it though. I had seen the name Witch's Butter, but wasn't sure if it was the same.