Friday, September 19, 2008

Garden Excursion

Last Monday, some friends and I had an excursion to Bastyr University. We visited the gardens, the vegetarian cafeteria, and the... well, you'll have to wait until the next post...

I was surprised to find a poppy blooming. I had some earlier in the year, but the plants have been finished up for some time.
The cafe's vegetable garden, above. The floating row covers are to discourage the rabbits and deer from eating the vegetables. The empty beds had held beans now finished up for the season.
And it looks like the cafe will be set for fall peas. I think my one 2-inch pea seedling doesn't stand a chance of making it to harvest! Above is the pea goal I'll have for this time next year.

3 comments:

Molly said...

I have a couple of oriental poppies blooming right now. And I think they bloomed more or less at the normal time, also. Weird year.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks, Molly. I did wonder about that for this poppy. I noticed some of my herbs did a bit of a second blooming this year. Bastyr has a beautiful, open site to catch a good day of sun. I would that would make for happy plants.
Paula

Karen said...

Thanks for these links! I have a bunch of pics of that garden too, I was there a bit later (November) for my first visit. Just too lazy to put the post together, but you have inspired me. I second the vote for a group trip up there. I'm still savoring the memory of the garden and also the delicious veggie food! I had some kind of sour garbanzo bean salad that I wish I could have again someday or learn how to make. Maybe our next meeting could be up there!