Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Cloche Benefits

I'm especially celebrating any blooms this year. This calendula started blooming a few weeks ago. Those outside the cloche are still just seedlings. This 50 degree weather isn't helping. Boy, this was a good year for the cloche experiment! Here are the chives, a few weeks ago. The ones outside are finally blooming now.

On one warm day, I opened up and then ended up removing the plastic covering. The chard & lettuce plants are now bolting. I'll clear out some of this soon, plant squash and put the plastic covering back on.

4 comments:

easygardener said...

It would be nice to have cloches that magically levitated at the press of a button.
I'm always putting off lifting them and I'm sure what's underneath is neglected as a consequence.

Weed Whackin' Wenches said...

Bolting chard??? Wow! We used our cloche to get things started. We removed it in early May and things have grown more slowly. We are still harvesting lettuce and chard. The beets, radishes, carrots from our second planting--outside the cloche are just a bit smaller than the stuff that got started under the cloche but doing nicely. I am wondering about the poor tomatoes and peppers. We planted our starts over the long weekend. --Curmudgeon

ChrisJ said...

You are definitely a dedicated gardener. Gorgeous colored flowers!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Enjoyed visiting your site. I don't have any chard but my rhubarb is certainly bolting this year. I can't keep up with it.