Friday, April 25, 2008

Okra Town

I've been in New Orleans for a meeting part of this week. Didn't fit in many photos, but did fit in some good food and drink. And OKRA, as found in some very tasty gumbo. And some spicy green beans, too. I think I'll try growing okra under the cloche. Otherwise, it will never be a happy plant in our coolish climate. Just like this transplant is no longer happy when the heat and the humidity both get close to 80. Fortunately, that wasn't until the last day and I wasn't outside for long.

Funny the trip would end on such a hot note, since I had driven to the Seattle airport as it was snowing.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Fresh okra is wonderful......but it can grow kinda tall, so be mindful of what variety you choose.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the tip, Nancy. I'll watch for that. Some day I hope to have a small greenhouse and a growing bed inside. I think that would be just the thing for okra.

Matron said...

My okra has just germinated. Hope I can keep them hot enough in the greehouse over Summer. I recognize that top photo. Just on the right behind the trees is the famous "cafe du monde" where I had "cafe au lait & beignets" - happy memories!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Matron,
Nice! It's been so long I don't even remember what baby okra looks like. I watch for a photo update from you.

You are exactly right on the location. I was going to make a note of that, but didn't want to go look up the spelling on beignets at that moment! The church was from standing in the same spot and looking across the square. I rode the St. Charles street car out past the Garden district, etc. Didn't take any photos, but it was a nice way to see beyond the foot travel area.