Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mulch Run

The annual load of green coffee bags is in. You can see I had excellent bag stuffers too. This is more bags than I've had in the back of the Subaru before. There aren't too many other types of mulches I could stuff in the car like this.
I unloaded most of them into the barn. To stop the weeds that had started poking up in the paths, I also put down a new layer of bags in the pathways. It has been raining on them all week so that has now flatten them down nicely. Some of the previous bags on the paths had complete decomposed.

On another topic...
You can see the delinquent Brussels sprout plants, above. They are doing some sort of growing now, but they are still so short and not really producing little sprouts. I think I just started them too late last year and they were not were they needed to be size wise once winter arrived.

Status updates....
From the seeds planted indoors on Sunday, there are a couple sprouts almost though the soil. Either basil, tomato or onion. I didn't label the various containers as I'll be able to tell after they fully sprout... I think.

And Frog is singing in the little garden pond just off the patio. There were two different frogs out there for several days, but in these last few days, I only hear the one.

6 comments:

Carol said...

Using those bags, which I assume are made of burlap is a good idea for paths, etc. Where do you get them?

Matron said...

I am green with envy! I really did covet your coffee bags! Is that a deadly sin?? Actually I found some old carpet yesterday in a dumpster just a few houses along. The carpet was already cut into the right shape for my paths! how lucky was that?

Molly said...

Supposedly the tops of brussel sprout plants are a delicacy. I forget where I read that but it was on the internet so it must be true, right?

Does Tully's have any bags left? :)

Petunia's Gardener said...

Hey now, Molly, there are other roasters in town you know!

Carol, the bags are made from jute, but called burlap. It is indeed from one of the coffee roasters that I get the bags. Another reader wondered whether the potato industry where she lived might also have a surplus.

Matron, I'm impressed! You're green and it is only March. Sounds like you too found some recycling that is just what you needed. Tackle those weeds while they're small!

Thanks for visiting - Paula

Tamara said...

Wow! Just found your blog and will be adding it to my favorites as I'm in Western WA also. LOVE the coffee bag idea! Ingenious!

Olive Oyl said...

Can you share your source for the coffee bags as I'd like to give it a try in garden & also with 4-H poultry club projects for ages 8-17years. We meet in or near Covington/Black Diamond areas.