Monday, March 17, 2008

March Salad!

I have been a bit negligent of my "covered wagon" cloche. Can you believe it did pay off a little anyway? This was our salad last night!

The chard has lots of fresh leaves and so does the red lettuce. There is no chard or lettuce outside of the cloche right now. The green lettuce I started out with in Oct. turned to mush by the end of Dec. The chives and parsley are doing about the same inside & outside the cloche.

The winds we've had often blow open the ends. I will find a better way to close it up in the future. But, it is still more warm and dry inside than anywhere else in the garden. See the Cloche label for more information about it.

I will plant the lettuce and chard seedlings from my winter sown milk jugs in the cloche soon.

2 comments:

Weed Whackin' Wenches said...

Hello and thank you for responding to my question regarding your cloche. We did manage to get one up. And our seeds have even sprouted--radishes, salad greens, beets. This is our first season planting from seed so we are most excited.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Ah, yes! I should add beets & radishes too. Even if I plant more later in another bed, it would be nice to have some early ones in process. Thanks!