Wednesday, March 26, 2008

March Surprise

I wasn't particularly feeling "left out" of the Easter snow many gardeners reported. Actually, I was a little relieved to be sitting in mild winter country.

It was a total surprise to me when the big snow/slush flakes starting hitting the windshield as I drove up the hill towards home tonight. I knew it was cold today, but I still didn't even think about snow. The flakes are smaller now and I doubt much will stick.

Just as well. I have tomato, basil, onion, fennel and pea sprouts under the fluorescent light in the garage. The tomato and basil seedlings will not be happy to stay out there unless it warms up (and they get too leggy trying to grow in the house by window light).

3 comments:

Weed Whackin' Wenches said...

Stopped by to check if you had gotten snow. Guess you did. We had some in Wallingford here in the city. White blanket all over the place last night when I left work. At some point this past week the winds snapped one of the dowel rods holding the cloche's ribs. But the plastic is holding--haven't dared look under there in a few days.

Petunia's Gardener said...

We have snow this morning too. If we have to have this now, I hope that the temps will slow down the bad bug & weed population some.
I bet it is nice & dry under the cloche and you have happy seedlings. - Keep Warm

Libbys Blog said...

The tomato is a new one from Thompson & Morgan called Tamina, it says its an early ripening 'potato leaved' variety! Hope this helps!
Hope it warms up for you soon!