Friday, January 25, 2008

Gardening in Small Spaces Update

Here is a recent visit to the pyxie cup lichen growing on the fence. I loved seeing them full of water, but could not really get a focused shot. The most vertical one in the middle is about as good as I could get. I just love having found this little garden. Here is link for the post from Feb. 2007, my first discovery of them.
Growing on the same cross brace on the fence, I also found the seedlings above. I think they look like foxglove. What do you think? It seems all of the foxglove around the place are on the same biannual schedule. That means this will be the year for blooms.

8 comments:

ChrisJ said...

That lichen photo is great! I wonder how many photos like that have appeared on the internet. Unusual!

Curtis said...

I do like that lichen photo. The plant looks like foxglove to me.

No Rain said...

How interesting. The lichen look so pretty with the water drops in them. First time I've ever seen lichen up close.
Aiyana

Matron said...

Amazing shot of the lichen! that is some super dooper macro close up lens!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Thanks for the comments and encouragement! I was amazed to find it like this. I really must learn to use the manual focus adjustments on my camera, though. I try to get the automatic focus to do what I want by using various angles, etc. Must find the instruction book and see what manual will do.

Maybe tomorrow I can capture it in the snow! Thanks - Paula

Bob said...

Is it amazing how much is growing in our area in spite of how tough our Winter has been. Some great photos.
All the best, Bob

Connie said...

That lichen is ADORABLE! If you have a macro mode on your camera, that would be the one to use for such a close up shot.
That does look like foxglove. You are way ahead of us here....we are still under a blanket of snow.

Paula said...

The little water droplets resemble snow globes. Nice shot! This software works great to sharpen your images: http://picasa.google.com/.