Monday, October 22, 2007

Lasting Lavender

This has been the year of the lavender. Various plants started blooming back in June (see this photo with links from our lavender farm visits last year also) and most kept some blooms going all summer. This photo, above, is from Oct. 13. I did trim flowers from the plants a lot this year. I think it was the cooler summer weather, though. Whatever it was, I hope it happens again.

I am happy to report that the Munstead lavender plants I started from seed last year bloomed a lot this year. Someone gave me the seeds. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought to try lavender from seed.

7 comments:

RUTH said...

What a fabulous Lavender season you've had. I've never grown any from seed...well done. :o)

mrsnesbitt said...

I love lavender, I need to take some cuttings from mine asap! Another job for the greenhouse!

Allotment Lady said...

It seems to last for ages after the first frosts. I just adore your posts- but you know that already!

There are so many varieties of lavender aren't there.

I have one favourite called Vera - it is so old its on its last legs so I am going to take cuttings too

Petunia's Gardener said...

What a treat to have visits from you lovely ladies today! Lavender is such a joy in the garden. I just don't remember another summer of it like this year. I'm sure the cuttings will keep your garden strong in lavender.

Matron said...

Quite amazing to have lavender still in flower at this time of year. One of the few flowers I will tolerate on my veggies only patch - because it encourages beneficial insects.

Ilona said...

Gorgeous! It was a good year for my lavenders, too.

Bare Bones Gardener said...

Now that's a nice lavender