Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Winter Supply (for Somebody)

A few weeks ago, I trimmed back some of the sunflowers and placed the seed heads on this old gate to dry in the sun. I would move it inside the barn at night to avoid the dew (& mildew).

After one drying day, I decided to just place it in the open, but covered stall area outside the barn. This way it would get air but little dew.

A few days later, I went to have a look. Here is what I found....

What does this say about the winter ahead? I would really like to see where the squirrel (I assume) has stashed all of the seed heads! One day, I'm sure we'll find the remains somewhere.

Still, this is better then a visit by the predator the Homesteading neighbors posted about here!

7 comments:

RUTH said...

Oh My Goodness! It must have taken a team of squirrels to move them!

Paula said...

That's quite a shock!! Maybe you just dreamed about trimming back the sunflowers. :) If you find their stash, I'd be interested to know where it is.

this is my patch said...

That is unbelievable, I wonder where the pesky squirrels have stashed them, they must have worked their little cotton socks off moving all of those.

Frankie @ Veg Plot said...

Good Grief!

~Becky said...

Well my goodness!
Someone went grocery shopping!
Sorry for your loss, but it was amusing too.
I hope you find lots of sunflowers sprouting all over your garden next spring.
~Becky

LostRoses said...

Very funny! Where could the litte dickens have taken them?

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Wow! They didn't leave anything behind! Amazing!