Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunflowers for Rainy Days

This sunflower seems to be the star of dark and gray days. This photo is from a dark day at the end of August. The sun would break through for a moment and make these flowers glow. Today, we didn't have any sun breaks in the misty day, but I could see the blossoms on this plant from the garage window and it called me out to visit.

I thought this was an Italian White Sunflower from seeds I ordered this year. See the Italian White from last year's garden here. Now I'm thinking it may be Valentine, also ordered this year. This one has grown to about 7 feet tall, but unlike the other sunflowers, it has these graceful stalks that hold up the 4-6 inch flowers very nicely. More for cut flowers than seeds, I think, but I will check for seed production in the older flower heads next time I'm out there.

5 comments:

Anita said...

Wow, the pumpkin on the below picture looks great! But it was non of my seeds, wasn't it? It looks much better than the ones I have! ;-))) Congratulations!

Best wishes, Anita

Allotment Lady said...

I just adore sunflowers all the varieties are so interesting.

I love the Autumn mists and mellow ness.

It is so quiet in the mornings when I let the chickens out and a tad bit eery sometimes as the mist swirls around.

There's that sharp nip in the air too - just to remind us summer is over.

RUTH said...

I love the colour of these and what a beautiful photo against the dark skies.

ChrisJ said...

That really is a sunny sunflower. What a day brightener! Such a beautiful fresh color.

And Petunia really is a garter snake. We lived with one in our garage for a few years when our boys were teenagers -- and fed it with live frogs from a nearby pond. Yuck!

Kim said...

Such a lovely photo. Thanks for sharing.