Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Late Bloomer

I am very happy to have a nicotiana sylvestris blooming in the garden now. Last year, my neighbor gave me some of her seedlings. I was amazed at the size they grew to be and their evening fragrance. My neighbor thinks they have alien qualities. They grow quite tall and their sticky "skin" means they tend to grab hold when you get too close.

Even though I collected seeds, I didn't get them planted in this year's garden. I was happy to see seedlings appear and then a quickly growing flower stalk. There might be another one that will make it to flowering also. I hope they'll plant themselves again, but next year, I'll make sure I plant some seeds also. The garden and gardener would miss them.

8 comments:

this is my patch said...

I grew this nicotiana from seed a few years back and planted in a metre square, it looked lovely, and since then it does self seed around the garden, but I don't mind as it looks lovely in the evening light and smells gorgeous too, you should get them back next year.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I love this flower! The smell is pure heaven. I have not planted any for several years, not really sure why, making a note to self to plant some next year :).

Paula said...

Pretty flower. I've never heard of this. Have to talk a walk and check it out!!
Paula

Connie said...

This was my first year to grow nicotiana, as well. I really enjoyed the look and the fragrance!

Sue Swift said...

Hi – this is an invitation to join the Garden Bloggers Retro carnival. I don’t know if you’ve ever come across the concept of a Blog carnival – if not I’ve explained it in detail on my site today (Oct 1). But basically the idea is to revive an old post which you think is worth rereading, or which you think new readers might enjoy. Send me the link to the post, and in November I’ll publish a series of posts describing and linking to all the posts people have nominated.
I hope you’ll join in and we have a fun carnival!
Sue

Matron said...

They are wonderful! the scent, particularly in the evening and at night is exquisite. I find they seed themselves quite easily.

meresy_g said...

I love nicotiana. When I was a kid my grandparents grew it and I loved the smell. Then when I was older and had apartments I would buy the short ones that they sell at garden centers and wonder why they didn't smell like I remembered. It took me awhile to find the old-fashioned one. I started seeds in the spring, but they ended up dying. Definitely next year!

allotment lady said...

How I love nicotiana - and white especially are my favourite.

You can't get too many of them - and yes - they look wonderful in the evening light