Sunday, September 23, 2007

Goodbye Beans

Another year for the lovely runner beans is about over. And the hummingbirds have enjoyed them again, too (see a visit from last year here). The day I took this photo, some weeks ago now, I was using a ladder to reach the highest beans. The HB sat in the tree nearby and screeched at me until I got down. No blossoms are left now and the remaining beans are a bit tough. Not much longer and I'll be cleaning off the structure for the winter. The runner beans and the violet podded pole beans had good harvests. The helda pole beans quickly matured and I didn't seem to get them picked at the right time. Next year, I will planting fewer beans and see if can keep up with them better.

This afternoon in the garden, we watched the chickadees eating sunflower seeds and a hummingbird visiting the blooming flowers. We also saw another hummingbird at the fuchsias on the patio. I don't recall when I stopped seeing them last year.

2 comments:

Matron said...

How wonderful to have hummingbirds! No such luck here in London. I had a good bean year as well, but I planted a late crop of bush beans which I am harvesting right now. Lovely photo!

mrsnesbitt said...

Awwwwwwwwwww! lend me your ear!

Things.............need sorting here!

Dxxx