Monday, August 13, 2007

Garden of Memories

On a daily basis there is a garden inside the house I enjoy. Today, I'm remembering my Dad and his mother, my Grandmother. I'm also celebrating that I've been able to grow the garden a little more. Here is the addition to my garden:When my Grandmother died almost 20 years ago, a little before my wedding, my family sent me me home with a number if items from my Grandmother's house. This included a stainless flatware set that my husband and I still use every day. I'd never been able to confirm the manufacture or find any additional pieces, until now. All I had to go on was the "Rose USA Stainless" on the handles. As you can see in my new addition, I now know the pattern is from Sears Roebuck and Co. , which doesn't surprise me. This ceritificate is dated Dec. 25, 1958. My set is probably about the same age.
Flatware is more difficult to photograph than vegetables, but here you get the idea of the Rose pattern. I've always liked it and my set has worn very well through the years of use, although the flat knife blades are showing wear, probably brought about after we moved to a house with a dishwasher. Plus, I wanted more place settings to use.
For the past year, I've been internet searching now and then to see what might pop up. Nothing, until a few weeks ago when this set popped up on E-bay. I was amazed, to say the least.
And and other bidder too! Fortunately, they didn't know how much I wanted it and I won with a very reasonable bid.

Grandmother was a vegetable gardener and loved colorful flowers. She had a large rambling rose bush at her house. I suspect someone bought the set for her, to replace the miss-matched silverware / flatware she used everyday. She was used to "making do" with what she had so I think she kept the new set for special occasions. My Dad has also been gone for 3 years now so I don't think I'll ever know more about our set.

Just like the items I brought back from our Kansas trip, for inside and outside the house, I love the life in family pieces. A walk though the garden involves discussing the hows and whys of the plants found in it and a visit to the inside garden has its stories too. If you visit, you'll have to see this inside rose garden too.

4 comments:

Connie said...

How nice you were able to add to your precious family heirloom flatware set!!

RUTH said...

What a beautiful set and so full of memories. Our house and garden is full of memories of people and places. It does make it difficult to throw anything away though :o)

Bev said...

What a beautiful post. I'm glad you won the bid on ebay. It's items and memories like this that keep our loved ones spirits' alive for all time.

Paula said...

Glad to know you got your silverware! It's always special when you find a needle in a haystack, isn't it?