Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bring on the heat

Well, it is already here, actually. We've had 2 days well above our average high of 75 degrees, with a few more days to go before it cools down. That's not Petunia, above, but a soaker hose added last weekend (and it has now been covered with a mulch). A 50 foot soaker hose can go down a bed and back just about right. Different beds can be watered on different days as needed. I'm either ready for another dry summer, or encouraging it to rain. Either way works for me.
Last night, we added some straw mulch to most of the bare ground and over the soaker hoses. You can also see the coffee bagged path that runs under the bean structure. The pole & runner beans above seem happy with this arrangement. The highest climber is up to 6 feet now. It was in the upper 90's today, but tonight, I could still find cool earth under the straw.

3 comments:

RUTH said...

7.30am here I must find out what time in the evening/night it is where you are. Sounds like really hot weather you're having; here in England we often get hosepipe bans which includes the use of seeper hoses; do you ever get bans??? My Dwarf beans are doing well, I planted them late but have quite a few small beans starting to form. My first time growing dwarf ones I'll be interested to see what the flavour is like. Stay Cool :-)
Rx

mrsnesbitt said...

Raining here............AGAIN!!!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Wow, you all are getting the rain. While we're known for our rain, our summers can be dry. We do sometimes have water restrictions. I'm on a well now so they might not apply, but I'd want to be careful anyway. I prefer to water as little as possible and let the plants adjust some.

Ruth, if you check out the time on my weather button, it should show my time. I think we're 8-9 hours different. I have no flowers on the beans yet. I hope you like the dwarf ones.