Saturday, June 02, 2007

Garden Helpers

Picked up a load of green coffee bags yesterday morning. This morning, I unloaded them. I didn't even know Emily was checking them out until I saw this picture tonight! She does like the bag covered pathways in the garden. Guess she thinks this means she'll soon have some clean bags to lay on.
Some went directly to the pumpkin patch. Others went into the barn and to friends. My plan was to lay them over that grass path between the sunflower bed (right) and the pumpkin patch (left) as it becomes hard to keep mown when the pumpkins are gowning. Instead, I covered the already rototilled pumpkin patch. There was some grass and weeds popping up and the bags should help discourage them, keep the soil moist and make the worms happy. Tonight, I planted the 4 pumpkin sprouts from the seeds planted May 13th. Now I need to plant the Snackjack pumpkins.
My, we did a lot of work today. Time to take a nap. Apparently, she approves of the stepping stones also. There are 2 at the ends of each path to make for easy trimming. Emily (& Petunia's Gardener) have been walking on the garden bed endcaps and these stepping stones to get around the garden beds without walking through the grass.

6 comments:

RUTH said...

What a lovely photo...just how I feel at the end of a long day!

Anita said...

Oh, those empty coffee bags looks very interesting! Good luck with all your pumpkins! I have around 10 different varieties this year, can't wait to see them growing soon!

Unfortunately, it's quite cold, and grey outside today but it does not stop me from gardening! Lots of sprouts need to be planted!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Best wishes from Germany!

XOX, Anita

Carol said...

I like the idea of using the coffee bags to keep weeds down. Where did you get them?

Petunia's Gardener said...

Ruth, this cat has lounging down to a science. You'd think she put in a long day, but probably only 15 since the prior nap!
Anita - 10 varieties! You are ahead of me. I'm just trying to get 2-3 planted. They are fun to watch.
Carol, we have several coffee roasting companies in Seattle. I work for one of them! Not sure where you might find them in your area unless you know of a local roasting company or another industry that used this type of bag. Never know what you might find!

Petunia's Gardener said...

RE: the cat...15 minutes, that is.

Angie said...

Petunia, I really like your coffee bag path idea-totally cool!!!