Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Coffee'd Beans

I appreciate all of the input following the bean incident. Definitely a pest of the slug, rabbit, deer, or dog variety (or Emily the cat?). Even with the rabbit's blog comment confession, yesterday I had decided it must be slugs as there were no foot prints or other disturbances. Out came some coffee grounds that have some slug deterring traits. Today: so far so good. The new growth of the uneaten plants hasn't disappeared and the eaten plants are sprouting new growth.


....But then this evening, this little guy was waiting just outside the garden. I can almost smell the beans on his breath. So if you're reading this, Wabbit, beware: You'll have some sleepless nights ahead if you decide to sample the coffee'd beans. And you're already twitchy enough.

4 comments:

RUTH said...

I've been using coffee grounds...it's been so wet though that the slugs and snails have managed to swim across it.LOL.. and my poor veg are being badly eaten. Still at least the grounds are a good soil conditioner.

meresy_g said...

Ha. I can't imagine a caffeinated rabbit. I wonder if your beans will have a little kick to them by having those coffee grounds around them.

Libbys Blog said...

With the new starbucks opened nearby I too have used coffee grounds and they seem to work quite well!!

Allotment Lady said...

Me too - but wabbits don't take any notice - they go for stuff above the soil :-(