Monday, April 23, 2007

Winter sowing results

Here's an update on the "winter sowing" experiment shown here. I now have lettuce, Swiss chard, broccoli, spinach and nasturtium seedlings. Popped their top tonight so they can get a little further adjusted before the move to the ground. This was quite an easy way to go. They received plenty of light outside yet were a little more protected than if they were sown in the ground. Very portable too! They've been sitting next to the house on the deck until recently. I don't see slug/mystery bug damage like I see on the peas in the garden. Thanks for the idea, Angie!

7 comments:

Hillside Garden said...

What a good idea, to plant seddlings in this bottles! I have seeded some salad, inside and outside.

Sigrun

talj said...

Great to hear your having success with your sowing! :o) I am so pleased I have been able to grow just the basic things! I can't wait for next year!! Should be well in to my gardening by then! :o)

A wildlife gardener said...

What a great idea in those little containers! I'm always starving reading about delicious veggies and salad crops...

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Excellent idea, it keeps them safe from the cold and from nasty slugs and snails as well!

Allotment Lady said...

Wow you are really do well - everything is looking so good

Libbys Blog said...

Excellent idea! Must try that!

Angie said...

You are quite welcome! I am glad it worked for you and you get to enjoy that wonderful lettuce instead of the slugs!
ps-save your bottles for next winter!